Our thanks to Aquinas’ Alumni Association president, Lou Nobile (AQ ’57), for his help in coordinating this visit.
The owner of T.A.T. Ristorante di Famiglia, Mr. Jimmy Corrova (AQ ’53), along with his family and staff, provided a wonderful luncheon buffet of salad, rolls, baked chicken, pasta, green beans and meatballs. Also invited to attend were 12 St. Charles students who are the recipients of academic scholarships provided by The Father John R. Smith Aquinas Alumni Scholarship. That fund supports both financial aid and academic scholarships earned through exceptional performance in grade school and on the St. Charles 8th Grade Scholarship Test. The fund was established in 1987 by James K. Williams, Jr. (AQ ’49) and fellow Aquinas alumni to honor the memory of Fr. Smith, the legendary Aquinas teacher and disciplinarian.
Aquinas College High School was an all-boys high school operated by the Dominican Fathers from 1905-1965. More than 4,2000 boys graduated from Aquinas, which was located for most of its years at Mt. Vernon and Washington Avenues, now the home of Columbus State Community College.
Both St. Charles and Aquinas have long traditions and many Columbus families have graduates from both schools. Since Aquinas closed its doors in 1965, many of its graduates have had sons, grandsons and nephews attend St. Charles. Both of their alumni associations have worked to help foster a growing respect and friendship between alumni of these once VERY competitive rival schools.