For the 7th straight year, St. Charles was honored to host graduates of Aquinas College High School for their May Alumni Association Luncheon. The gathering took place in the school’s Robert C. Walter Student Commons and the sumptuous buffet was catered by T.A.T Restaurant under the watchful eyes of owner, Mr. Jimmy Corrova (AQ ’53), his daughters and staff.
Our thanks to Aquinas’ Alumni Association president, Lou Nobile (AQ ’57), for his help in coordinating this visit and VP Greg Swepston (AQ ’56) who hosted the meeting.
More than 80 Aquinas grads attended and were joined by 14 St. Charles students receiving four-year academic scholarships provided by The Father John R. Smith Aquinas Alumni Scholarship. The “Father Smith” fund supports both financial aid and academic scholarships earned through exceptional performance in grade school and on the St. Charles 8th Grade Scholarship Test. The fund was established in 1987 by James K. Williams, Jr. (AQ ’49) and fellow Aquinas alumni to honor the memory of Fr. Smith, the legendary Aquinas teacher and disciplinarian. Aquinas College High School was an all-boys high school operated by the Dominican Fathers from 1905-1965. More than 4,2000 boys graduated from Aquinas, which was located for most of its years at Mt. Vernon and Washington Avenues, now the home of Columbus State Community College.
Our prayers go out to those Aquinas alumni who have passed away since last May who had been a special part of this ongoing luncheon and/or the St. Charles vs. Aquinas College High School Golf Challenge these many years. Both St. Charles and Aquinas have long traditions and many Columbus families have graduates from both schools. Since Aquinas closed its doors in 1965, many of its graduates have had sons, grandsons and nephews attend St. Charles. Both of their alumni associations have worked to help foster a growing respect and friendship between alumni of these once VERY competitive rival schools. We look forward to many, many more years of camaraderie with our Aquinas “brothers.”