Academic Resources on the Web
Library Resources include:
-Internet access and Microsoft Office Suite
-A collection that complements the curriculum
-Recreational reading materials
Some recommended links:
College Search – A site that helps a student find a college that is best suited to his interests and personality without revealing personal information: http://cnsearch.collegenet.com/cgi-bin/CN/index
Research – Columbus Metropolitan Library – be sure to check out the Premium Resources for biographies, literary criticism, art collections, health, and science: http://www.cml.lib.oh.us/
INFOhio – great collection of databases covering everything from the Encyclopedia Britannica to biographies to authoritative journals and other periodicals – get the login and password from the librarian to use this site from home: http://www.infohio.org/
Internet Public Library – a great collection of reference works online, everything from Literature to science: http://www.ipl.org/
Citations – MLA, Chicago, etc.: http://library.duke.edu/research/citing/
Math – http://www.math.com/
Many other sites are bookmarked on the student computers in the library that can help with some of the major papers the students will be writing for their English, History, and Chemistry classes.
*Note: The content of these websites is not monitored by
St. Charles nor is St. Charles affiliated with any of the non-diocesan sites.
Holy Angels Library
St. Charles’ Holy Angels Library, formerly the school’s Upper Chapel, is a unique setting that provides space for students to read, study and do research. Students are expected to follow the Diocesan Guidelines for Technology Use as outlined in the Student Handbook which can be accessed on this website by clicking on the “Student” tab. Students may use the library before and after school and during study hall periods. Teachers regularly schedule research classes in the library where the students can receive help in developing research and writing skills.
St. Charles libraries: A History
Holy Angels Library, opened in 1993, occupies space built originally for the Upper Chapel, (also known as the Seminarian’s Chapel) which served college seminarians (1925-1969) and was later used by high school students for class liturgies. Because the third-level Chapel had not been used for religious services for many years, the space was renovated and the school library was transferred there.
Nearly all the stunning artwork and decorations in the Chapel were left in place when the conversion occurred, making this space one of the most beautiful high school libraries anywhere. The stained glass windows, which depict the life of Jesus and the Blessed Mother, were imported from Germany. The altar is Italian marble. In 1929 the chapel was enhanced with the artwork of Rambusch of New York. Saints depicted on the wall behind the high altar are recognized as the formative leaders in Catholic doctrine, catechism, and teaching. Bishop James J. Hartley, founder of St. Charles Preparatory School and the college-seminary, celebrated the first Mass in the “Upper Chapel” on September 14, 1925.
The Chapel’s renovation was made possible thanks to the generosity of the Don Kelley family and was dedicated on the Feast of St. Charles (November 4) in 1993 in memory of Walter L. Kelley, father of Don ’47 and Dick ’48 Kelley. Work included the installation of a new heating and air conditioning system. In addition the original stained glass windows were repaired and sealed and the beautiful original murals, frescoes, and altar were restored. With a nod to the present, computers were installed for student use.
The school’s first library was located on the second floor in the southern portion of the west wing of the Main Building off the main hallway. That space was later converted to a teacher’s lounge and now houses a computer lab-classroom.
In 1941 the library was moved to the ground-level floor of the Theater Building where it remained until the “Great Flood of 1959” submerged the room. About 75% of the books were saved thanks to the volunteer work of faculty members, seminarians, and high school students who carted the books a floor above to the main Theater. The space, which today houses the Cavello Center, was renovated and the library remained there for several more years. It was moved again, this time to the east wing’s third level that once housed a large study hall until 1993 when it was replaced by the current physics lab.
At the start of the 2015-2016 school year, the final touches were finished on preserving the artistic features of Holy
Angels Library, especially through the restoration of the historically significant and inspiring stained glass windows, wall and ceiling tapestries and painted Frescoes. Work also included the addition of new carpet, furniture and enhanced lighting.