If you would like to establish an endowment or need more information, please contact the school’s Development Office and ask to speak with Michael Duffy, the St. Charles Development Director. He can be reached at (614) 252-9288 extension #20 or by e-mail at [email protected].There are several naming opportunities in various locations around the St. Charles campus and are on a first-available basis. They include:
For a gift of $5,000 you can dedicate one of the many limestone benches located outside the Campus Theater Building (10), the Robert C. Walter Student Commons (3), or inside the Monsignor Thomas M. Bennett Courtyard (9). These benches are 42 inches in length, 16 inches deep and 20 inches high and can be engraved in any manner you wish.
Walk of Honor Colonnades Columns:
Just outside the Walter Student Commons– these colonnade columns support the covered walkway above the relocated brick-paver path of the St. Charles Walk of Honor, which was formerly located in the north courtyard. Alumni and St. Charles families will be recognized with a 4-inch by 8-inch bronze plate that will contain the name(s) of the benefactor’s choosing. Each column can be dedicated with a gift of $5,000.
For a charitable contribution of $500, Saint Charles alumni, parents, and friends can now pay tribute to their favorite Cardinal. Dedicate one of the 120 bricks that make up the four walkway insets that are part of Sean P. Reed Plaza just inside the entrance way to the athletic “Home of the Cardinals,” Walt Plank Field.
Each 8” x 8” brick allows up 4 lines of copy, with up 12 characters per line including spaces. This is an ideally-suited recognition of former Cardinal athletes, coaches, captains, managers, and fans of our baseball, football, lacrosse, and soccer programs.
Highly visible to all who enter the stadium, this contribution is fully tax-deductible as provided by law. All proceeds benefit the school’s Turf Field and Stadium Renovation Fund.
If you would like more information on these opportunities, please contact the school’s Development Office and ask to speak with Michael Duffy, the St. Charles Development Director. He can be reached at 614-252-9288 extension #20 or by e-mail at [email protected].
The Vision for the Future Campaign
The St. Charles administration and members of the St. Charles Advisory Board, in order to prepare future generations of Carolians, have worked to prioritize goals that are fundamental to creating a learning community with a strong Catholic identity and a diverse student body and faculty. These goals are meant to clearly communicate the mission of the school and secure resources to meet future challenges brought about through growth and modernization – far into our next century.
As The Distinctive Leader in Catholic Education, St. Charles understands the challenges that lie ahead. Through a comprehensive review of the current environment, we recognize that our students’ learning characteristics and the manner in which they receive and process information is changing. St. Charles must be prepared to provide the necessary technology, tools and spaces to create a positive learning environment. This requires careful and forward looking planning, beginning immediately.
After conducting a detailed study of the Four Pillars of our Vision, and having sought input from our community and after thoughtful consideration, the St. Charles administration and its Advisory Board have determined that the school should embark on a special five-year initiative to raise $20 million dollars. These funds will address needs in three critical areas:
1) Growing the ST. CHARLES ENDOWMENT ($5 MILLION)
2) CAMPUS EXPANSION & FUTURE GROWTH $5 MILLION
3) NEW FACILITIES ($10 MILLION): the construction of a New Building that Houses a Gymnasium, Science Labs and Classrooms.
If you would like more information on the Campaign or wish to make a gift toward one of its three components, please contact the school’s Development Office and ask to speak with Michael Duffy, the St. Charles Development Director. He can be reached at 614-252-9288 extension #20 or by e-mail at [email protected].
Facilities Expansion Continues
In the spring of 2016, St. Charles initiated the application process with the City of Columbus to purchase a triangular-shaped parcel of land about .9 acres in size at 1824 East Long Street. Located on the opposite side of the railroad trestle alongside the Robert D. Walter West Campus, it was owned at the time by the Columbus Land Bank. The school, looking for opportunities to expand its stretched facilities, determined it would build a large facility to accommodate several student groups under the same roof on the site. It would house the St. Charles Robotics Team, the “My Brother’s Keeper” Mentoring Program and a large athletic and recreational area with basketball courts and a running track. Now the fall of 2018, construction is nearing an end on the project and plans are in motion to hold its Open House November 1st as the Carolian community celebrates the Feast of St. Charles Borromeo on the Feast of All Saints.
Enrollment growth spurred history of capital projects on St. Charles campus
In September 1923, the doors of Sacred Heart Parish School near downtown Columbus were opened to 14 freshman boys of the newly commissioned St. Charles Borromeo Preparatory School. Founder Bishop James J. Hartley envisioned a school unique in both purpose and design.
Construction of the school’s permanent home at 2010 East Broad Street began in July 1924. The four-level brick building opened on September 14, 1925 and diplomas were granted to the school’s first graduating class in 1927.
College students in 1931 completed construction of the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes which remains a hallowed landmark today. That year also saw the opening of a gymnasium and a school building addition for science laboratories and dormitory rooms. The Mother of Mercy Chapel was completed in 1937 and the Campus Theater in 1941.
In the late 1980s, SC expanded its athletic facilities to include a new baseball diamond and soccer field and in 1994 a new football field, bleachers and press box was dedicated.
In 2005 ground was broken on the site of the old north courtyard for a student convocation center and a student services center. Less than one year later, in November 2006, the Robert C. Walter Student Commons and the St. Charles Student Services and Fine Arts Center were dedicated. Every student in the school uses the Walter Student Commons on a daily basis for lunch and frequently uses the Student Services Center for the school’s guidance office, nurse’s office, computer classrooms, art room and music room.
In February 2007, work began on a new multi-sport athletic field, later named Walt Plank Field; as well as a stadium- improvement project that featured a handsome new front entrance with four ticket booths, two new baseball dugouts complete with storage areas and a new concessions area.
In the summer of 2008 a new multi-sport athletic field, named Walt Plank Field, was added. The stadium improvements project also featured a handsome new front entrance with four ticket booths, two new dugouts complete with storage areas, and a new concessions area. Parents of St. Charles students helped lead the way for that $1.1 million fundraising project.
The fall of 2011 saw the ground broken for the Robert D. Walter West Campus which was completed two years later. It marked the school’s first expansion beyond its original 26-acre site. West Campus’ Savko Athletic Complex provides additional athletic practice and competition areas including the Dominic and Kathleen Cavello Field (turf) and a new track which is used for all Cardinal athletic teams; and an impressive new weight training and conditioning facility. The project also included the construction of two parking lots with 111 spaces for daily student use and for special campus events; and a pedestrian access bridge across Alum Creek.
The fall of 2014 saw the conversion of the Jack Ryan Student Training and Fitness Facility, originally completed in 1999, into a much needed locker room and additional coaches’ offices. In addition, the Paul G. Heller ’82 and Family Observation and Timing Deck was added to the school’s Rose and Dedger Jones Natatorium.
At the start of the 2015-2016 school year, the final touches were finished on the preservation of the Holy Angels Library, including the restoration of more than 50 historically significant stained glass windows and painted wall frescoes.
During the summer of 2016, there will be a focus on preserving the artistic features of the 78 year-old Mother of Mercy Chapel. This includes repairing the historically significant and inspiring stained glass windows and restoring the Chapel’s wooden pews, as well as the walls, floor and limestone columns.
All these improvements, in conjunction with an enrollment waiting list, multiple student awards, and a regional and national reputation for producing well-prepared alumni, have allowed St. Charles to maintain its status as the area’s preeminent college preparatory school.